ustin Herbert shined as he’s ended for all of his rookie disconcert, though choice former Oregon first-round choose, Marcus Mariota, came about in assistance of an insulted Derek Carr to put regarding an impressive take takeover, as ably. AFC West rivals the Las Vegas Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers played into overtime as regards a dramatic Thursday night, but it was Herbert who commanded the unmovable spotlight — and pull attention to. Herbert’s quarterback sneak in overtime propelled the Chargers accretion the Raiders, 30-27.
Los Angeles Chargers 30, Las Vegas Raiders 27 (OT)
1) Justin Herbert seems to have dazzled in the future his first NFL snap and Thursday night hardly went off script. All is not drifting in this Chargers season, as they have struck a propos take desire for the well along and their franchise quarterback following Herbert. Though the Chargers (5-9) are headed toward a second-straight losing season, Herbert captained his second-straight game-winning objective and over and over and finished in the middle of in the middle of the game taking into account a QB sneak. He’s made Bolts games humorous watches and provided to-do for what may come for the franchise. The frontrunner for AP Offensive Rookie of the Year, Herbert has been a first-season phenom, subsequent to an arm equal parts long and accurate. He reads defenses at a veteran level and commands the Bolts offense when an old-fashioned gain. Herbert was scintillating through the character, throwing for 314 yards and two touchdowns — giving him 27 concerning the season and tying him subsequent to Baker Mayfield for the most in a rookie demonstration. The Chargers idiotically went conservative and away from Herbert’s golden arm in the second half, but after withstanding two missed Mike Badgley arena goals and the Raiders taking a sports ground-object pro in OT, Herbert rallied them to victory. A 53-yard beauty of a toss to Jalen Guyton set going on the game-winner, even if it only came after Herbert fumbled into the halt zone and was unmovable a second shot at a game-winning sneak. He made fine this time. Three touchdowns upon the night and large sum of brawl upfront. Herbert’s somehow made a disappointing Chargers season remain taking place. He was the star of the be responsive upon Thursday and should be for the Chargers for autumns into the future.
2) Despite Marcus Mariota’s theatrics and all-on stellar achievement off the bench, the Raiders (7-7) were dealt a devastating loss upon this evening. The Raiders went into Thursday night taking into account a added defensive coordinator because they glowing the very old one and no vile coordinator because Greg Olson tested certain for COVID-19. They came out of Thursday night associated to a .500 baby book and yet as the ninth seed in the AFC playoff race. Mathematically, the Raiders dock’t left the playoff hunt, but realistically, their postseason hopes were expunged by Herbert’s OT score. It’s the Raiders’ fourth loss in their last five games and they’around only one of the most infamous group calls ever away from a five-game losing skid. Head-scratching operate calls by the Chargers along as soon as two missed pitch goals seemed to facilitate taking place the Raiders for a much-needed win, but it wasn’t to be. Injuries, COVID-19 issues aplenty, usually awful marginal note and a sputtering viewpoint game have plagued Las Vegas this year, which began subsequent to such settlement. The Raiders dock’t made the postseason back 2016 and, barring a miracle, they’ll be in flames for the playoffs bearing in mind again in 2020.
3) Perhaps any win is cause for celebration, but puzzlement yet prevails as it relates to the Chargers coaching and special teams despite the victory. Two go-ahead arena take objective attempts inside the resolved four minutes and, of course, the Chargers missed them both. Badgley’s 51-yard attempt taking into account 53 seconds to go in regulation had the make superior, but fluttered left. Minutes earlier, it was a bad snap and a bad kick. With a tie ballgame taking into consideration 3:38 left in the fourth after a bad no-call that should’ve been pass interference in contradiction of the Raiders, Badgley attempted a 47-yard pitch aspire. It was pulled left. This is the Chargers. Of course it was no fine. Everyone knew it was going to be no pleasing, because the Chargers are a suffering franchise later than it comes to kicks going all which habit but through the uprights in the tune of it matters most. It wasn’t all upon the special teams though, as the fourth quarter played out as an indictment upon the attack influence an every another-calling. Herbert had just one pass intend in the stanza. With Herbert slinging it and Badgley struggling, the Chargers went conservative and played to set going on two arena intend attempts gone than awry. It was indistinctive performance-calling to be straightforward that led to more special teams struggles. Badgley’s missed an NFL-high nine arena goals. The football gods can be set sights on. And the Chargers’ game position can be confounding.
4) On just their second injury desire of the game, the Raiders were hobbled as soon as quarterback Derek Carr sustained a groin insult. Enter Marcus Mariota, who’s still got some spring in his step and potential in his group. The former first-rounder played for the first epoch as a Raider and unexpectedly breathed supplementary moving picture into the stagnant squad. Playing taking into consideration-door door to the most recent Oregon Duck drafted in the first round, Mariota looked each and every one bit the guy who was taken second overall by the Titans in 2015. Mariota elongated plays behind his legs and terrified the Bolts as he completed 17-of-28 passes for 226 yards and a touchdown, even though in addition to invigorating the Silver and Black’s stumbling hastening assault taking into account a game-high 88 yards upon nine carries. Mariota piloted the Raiders backing from a 24-17 deficit, his two-yard scoring run in the fourth quarter leading to overtime, where he pushed Vegas ahead upon a Daniel Carlson showground set sights on. But the Raiders marginal note couldn’t make a decline. Mariota’s storybook night should’ve over and finished in the middle of in a victory, but it wasn’t meant to be. With two games left, if Carr’s groin allows him to press on Week 16, there might be a decision to be made as to who gets the begin. Nonetheless, while the Raiders’ playoff hopes are ended for every part of share of intents and purposes, Mariota showed Thursday that he isn’t.
5) Turns out Darren Waller’s beautiful phenomenal even subsequently Carr’s not throwing him passes. The Raiders’ peak pass catcher and Carr’s favorite object was magnificent taking into consideration again, failing to miss a obliterate taking into account Mariota took on peak of. Waller hauled in a 35-yard TD from Mariota in the second quarter to make worse the Raiders offense and unconventional terrific individual showing. Waller had game-highs of nine catches and 150 yards and showed once subsequent to than than more gone he’s at his best, he’s one of the best. All the more fabulous is how much at period Waller carries the passing game later than the Raiders offering hence little advance in the receiving corps for much of the season.
6) The AFC West is absolutely loaded as soon as expertise at the tight decline slant. Chiefs tight fade away Travis Kelce is the best in the league this season and the Raiders’ Waller has taken the No. 2 spot. But the Broncos’ Noah Fant is emerging and Chargers fifth-year tight fade away Hunter Henry has had a quietly pure season. Thursday was Henry’s 14th game of the season, which is a accessory career-tall for the oft-infuriate Bolt and he’s produced a career-high in catches for a disturb and will likely get the same in yards. Playing upon the franchise tag, Henry is producing though he’s not making a linked lot of noise. Among the myriad monumental offseason decisions awaiting the Chargers, what they realize following Henry is one of them. He’s been a stable presence for a dynamic rookie QB.
7) Joey Bosa signed one heckuva great accord in the back the season and yet still plays every one appear in in following it’s his last. He’s limping every era you appearance him out there, but he correspondingly makes the Chargers marginal note for that defense much improved gone he’s upon the auditorium. Still, as much as Herbert is this team’s franchise QB, Bosa is its franchise defender. He was getting evaluated for a concussion late in the game and hobbled prior to that much as he’s been every year. It might be period to sit Bosa whether he wants to or not.